The Diesel Truck Site  

Go Back   The Diesel Truck Site > Diesel Truck Forums > Ford Powerstroke Forum

Ford Powerstroke Forum Ford Powerstroke Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Default Help with a 97 PSD won't start

I'm trying to fix a friends 97 7.3 PSD. The truck cranks over a long time before starting cold but will eventually start. Once started it runs great. Just don't shut it off because it will not start again until it cools completely down, 4 to 5 hours.
The owner has taken it to his local shop and they told him the HPOP was only putting out 300psi at cranking speed. I guess it needs 500psi. They convinced him the HPOP needed to be replaced. He brings the truck to me and I replace the IPR first because I've read that is the problem more times than not and we will replace that with a new HPOP pump anyway so do that first. That didn't fix it and neither did a new HPOP. I also resealed the fuel filter/water separator and the fuel pressure regulator. I also replace the transfer fuel pump because it was squirting fuel out the weep hole. I checked all the glow plug resistance, all between 1.1 to 1.3 ohms and a test light lit on all of them. I replaced all the injector o-rings 65,000 miles ago because of oil consumption. Truck has 251,480 miles on it now.
So all the fuel leaks are fixed, has a new IPR, new HPOP pump, new transfer pump and still will not start after it is shut off warm and is still hard to start when cold.
Anyone have any other ideas to look for????

Thanks.
Wes.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:14 PM
Administrator

From what I have come up with is the first two things you did and also an HPOP oil leak. Most likely there are O rings at one or two injectors leaking oil pressure. The way I understand it when the engine is cold the oil is thicker (we all know that), but when it is warm the oil is thinner and leaks out easier. There is a way to find out which bank it is using air. Here is a PDF telling you how to check for an air leak: http://www.nosun.ca/wingnut/051207.PDF
Old 04-06-2017, 04:14 PM

Also under the valve covers are high pressure oil rail plugs. Which are also sealed with orings.
Once it's running you can look around the injector bases for oil leaks.
When it's running, what's the highest icp you see?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/174421.png
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/420711.png
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Anything new on this, Wes?